Equal But Different accepts and affirms:
- the goodness and wisdom of God in creating people in his image as male and female
- the authority of the Bible in defining God’s purposes for men and women, and how they are to live and relate in his world
- the absolute equality of men and women in his purposes with respect to status, honour and dignity
- that both men and women are equally fallen before our Creator and Judge, and that both are equally loved and able to be rescued from God’s deserved wrath through the death and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ
- the generosity of God who, through his Spirit, gives gifts of ministry, including leadership, teaching and pastoring to both men and women
- that God calls everyone, female and male, to a life of wholehearted service to him, and of self-sacrificial ministry to his people and to the world in whatever context he places them
- that both men and women are to use their gifts and exercise ministry in a joyful and committed way
- that God’s purposes for humanity include complementary relationships between the genders
- that men are called to loving, self-denying, humble leadership, and women to intelligent, willing submission within marriage
- that within the church, this complementarity is expressed through suitably gifted and appointed men assuming responsibility for authoritative teaching and pastoral oversight and
- that we unconditionally reject the use of God’s purposes for marriage as an excuse for violence against women, whether physical, emotional or spiritual.
We thank God for his kindness to us and for the goodness of his life-giving word in this as in all things.